Disclaimer

I do not own The Twilight Saga, Life and Death, or any other story that my fanfictions are based on.

Also most teasers, sneak peeks, lost moments, and other material on this site are unedited and as such may have errors, may be subject to some changes, etc.

Click for the Poll for the Rebirth and Affliction shorts

Poll for Rebirth and Affliction

survey tool Another Chance, An Escapee's Future, and The Unfortunate End of Bradley Tanner are not listed on the poll because we ...

Monday, November 5, 2018

Why no beta?

I have many reasons for not having a beta, and those reasons vary greatly. Here's a few of the biggest ones.

First, I've had betas and pre-readers in the past that make suggestions that completely defeat the purpose of what I was trying to accomplish with my writing. That's not say that I haven't had good betas too, because I definitely have, but it really only takes one bad experience to put me off of something.

Second, I write a lot. On average, when my muse and I are in agreement, it's nothing for me to write twenty to thirty thousand words in an average week. Trust me when I say that I don't post everything I write. Back in the days of PTB (Project Team Beta) and SRP (Sparkly Red Pen) I spent time as both a beta and a pre-reader so I actually remember some details about how long it took, on average, to get a chapter back. I could usually pre-read within 48 hours or beta within 72, but I knew many people that took a lot longer (some people took in excess of a week). So for me, writing a story which updates daily on average (The Emotional Roller Coaster Of Life)  it would be about impossible to have it beta'd. And with most of my stories, unless I could write twenty thousand words in a single day, I'd be making people wait even longer than I already do for updates. On top of all of that, my writing style varies greatly. I have stories written both in first and third person, I also have stories in both past and present tense, and to top all that off even though the majority of what I write are Twilight Fanfics, I do write other stuff as well. That makes it difficult to find a singular person to beta all my work, and if I was to ever consider it, I wouldn't be able to work with multiple people.

Third, I write because I enjoy it and I enjoy posting some of what I write so other people can read it, but I am not, nor do I ever intend to be, a paid and published author. If I was to write for the purpose of publishing my work than it's no longer about my enjoyment, it's about a paycheck instead, which isn't what I want. For me, posting it is not about the reviews though I do love reviews, instead writing and posting is just to give other people a chance to see a small part of the inner working of my mind. And since I'm posting my work completely for free I see no point in having it perfect. I'm a firm believer that the rawness in most fanfiction is a large part of what makes it enjoyable and many of the fanfics I read on a regular basis aren't beta'd. More important than all that, I don't particularly enjoy someone telling me how my story should or shouldn't be written and being told that kind of info would take away from why I write.

Fourth, I'm a complete asshole and I know it. What I mean by this is that I'm often argumentative and it's not even always because I disagree with what people are telling me. It's just because I like to argue. That's the kind of person I am.

All of that being said, if I was to find somebody that was willing to beta some of my posted and finished works I wouldn't be opposed, but I'm not looking for anyone. It's just an if/then situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your continued support and presence.